Thursday, December 27, 2012

Star Fish



Sometimes people are beautiful.
Not in looks.
Not in what they say.
Just in what they are.” 

-Marcus Zusak


Washed Ashore

This fall I went to the wake of a high school student who was sitting on her porch and was murdered. A car drove past and sprayed her house with bullets. At the wake, the young people came dressed in t-shirts screen printed with pictures of her on them. Clearly this young woman had an impact of the masses considering the outpouring of support for her family.
 Ironically that same night, an hour after I left the wake, I had to pull myself together to go to a revival that a student invited me to attend at her church.  I needed some time to regroup after the wake so I stopped by Starbucks. I sat there reflecting on the young woman’s life and how too frequent this story is becoming. 

Returned To The Ocean
While walking back to the car I saw someone I knew. She asked about my day and where I was headed. I told her about the wake and overwhelmed with emotion I began to cry. I explained that the young lady’s death seems so daunting of a task to take on. Then she looked at me began telling me the starfish story. One at a time a person attempts to put all of the star fish back in the ocean that have been washed ashore. I would focus my energies on one young person at a time assist him or her as they navigate their way through life. In that moment it was what I needed to hear.
 I arrived at the church and the student was all smiles as she saw me get out of my car. This young woman has been through unimaginable circumstances, but was still all smiles. I greeted her and her younger sister, mother and stepfather. My emotions were in turmoil as I mourned the loss of one young woman,  but I sat there with two other young women. Sitting with the students praying and signing brought about a renewed surge of energy.

Saving Our Star Fish 
I wondered, how much more effective would it be if I could grab a hand full of starfish and throw them back into the ocean. Or what if I rallied a group of friends together and we all worked to clear the beach, how much faster would we be able to save so many more starfish? So it is our responsibility to rally together to save our children. 
There doesn’t have to be a formal gathering with committees and board members. We know all too well that committees can stifle productivity. Instead let’s not wait on some great leader to come organize our efforts. Educators, parents and friends, grab a group of kids and love them. Let them know they are good enough while giving them the tools to succeed. Our kids are simply modeling the example that we show them, so let’s give them more because they deserve more. 

Keep Giving,
Angela R. Lewis

No comments:

Post a Comment