Monday, December 24, 2012

Do More Be More


“Did you ever wonder if the person in the puddle is real, and you're just a reflection of him?”

-Bill Watterson


As we approach winter break, I have had a lot of time to reflect on this year. We have made many strides thus far. I am excited our PBIS team is in full-force; I am pleased with data teams and the learning about student outcomes; and I am pleased with the progressing climate of our staff. 

However, there is one person I am not satisfied with so far-myself! Yes, me! I know, that is a very bold self-admission; but, it is how I feel. Undoubtedly, I am not saying I am a failure at my job. No, please do not misunderstand my message.

I believe the better I am EVERYDAY, the better you are EVERYDAY. And...if you are better EVERYDAY, then most certainly, our students are better....EVERYDAY! 

When I interact with our kids, I know they are thirsting for guidance. Just look into their eyes. I will admit, I feel a sense of urgency, to reach our boys and girls before a possible negative influence grabs their hand. Because time is so limited with them, I have to make our school experience the absolute best.

So, how do I accomplish this? I am unsure! Yet, I understand I need your support. I am not saying that I am going to or have to do this alone. On the contrary, I realize this position has a much greater purpose for me. 

This movement, we call education is about quality of life. We can change our students’ future. As I am fully aware, my influence and responsibility as a principal, teacher, mentor, coach, leader, African-American adult male, and motivator-I have to do more and be more.

This is not for the sake of me. This is me striving for more-for students that need more...and have dreams of being more.


-Rodney S. Lewis, Ed.D.

No comments:

Post a Comment