Sunday, April 7, 2013

Leaving A Mark


0ur students are experiencing some challenging times. Having the opportunity to serve as the principal gives me the pleasure of interacting with our entire student body. 

The concerns traveling to the office the last two months have been disheartening. The behaviors, in many cases, are a massive cries for help. Without looking at the whole child, and accounting for what it “brings to the table” , it would be negligence on our behalf.

There is a Chinese proverb which sums up this lead the best, “Every child is like a piece of paper, on which every teacher leaves a mark.” Those are powerful words! What you give them is going to stick with them for the rest of their lives.  

It is at this time, when our students are faced with circumstances beyond their control, we have to be cognizant of the marks we leave.

I cannot help it, but the father in me is drawn out when I am working with our students. Regardless if it is a boy or girl, I cannot help but to imagine I am speaking with a little girl with long black hair, big beautiful brown eyes, and a three year old voice full of hope and promise.

I want my students to have the same opportunities as my little girl. If nothing else, I want them to feel the support and optimism about their existence. 

Finally, ponder these questions: Whose students are they? Are they “those” students, “your” students, “my” students, or “our” students?

How you answer this question, may determine the mark you leave. 


“Be kind to everyone, because everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.”

-Plato

-Rodney S. Lewis, Ed.D.



No comments:

Post a Comment